Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Amazon's FB Page

I went to the Amazon.com Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/Amazon?sk=app_165157536856903 to check out their lay out and creativity.  Let’s start with their wall. They have it organized by their posts - which is smart because negative comments are hidden behind their status updates unless a fan mindfully selects the recent posts option. Amazon posted last 2 days ago with 566 comments! The most recent post was from 5 minutes – from a few minutes of checking them out it looks like they’ve got their 600,000+ fans engaged!
The welcome tab was pretty lame; with the resources they have access to I’d say they’ve dropped the ball. Considering that the welcome page is the first page a consumer lands on before they “like” the fan page – you’d think more efforts would be put into first impressions.  I wasn’t planning on “liking” their page until I saw a fan had a question – so I had to “like” Amazon to answer the question... But this is the epitome of why their welcome page failed – I didn’t want to “like” them after I saw it...
There is one thing that I liked, and it wasn’t done with much creative abilities or fireworks but the @Amazondeals tab got me.  I scrolled down reading their daily deals and next thing you know I’ve clicked through and am searching the daily deals for the studded white gold and diamond earrings for $129!
While Amazon is wildly popular their lame attempt on Facebook is obvious with 600,000 fans – come on, even Papa John’s Pizza has more fans LOL.  In my opinion, the atmosphere is there Amazon just needs to take charge and do something for their fans.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting to see a negative review for such a major site. But I have to agree with you. When I went to the Amazon fan page, I only saw their "lightning deals" when I really wanted to see posts from their fans. I couldn't quite tell if these were posted by fans or by the company itself, and it seems to me this should be clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think the problem with the page is that they dont have a clear objectives. They just simply put up deals on the page. There are no discussion at all between users. I am not sure why they even create the page in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments - I completely agree their page is poorly illustrated, unclear and their objectives are a little wishy-washy. Kinda shameful for an online company to slack on their social media campaign if you ask me... LOL.

    ReplyDelete